Sunday 14 April 2013

Hello!!!!



Hi!
A while ago someone suggested that they would quite happily read a blog about my life. I'm not sure that was a compliment, but, I thought I would experiment with the idea...
I'm Abi (as in the very adventurous blog title) and I'm in my final few months of an Occupational Therapy degree. I got married 9 weeks ago to Dave and am just settling into married life!! (married people will know that sentence is worthy of exclamation marks)
I have several nicknames, none of which are very endearing. My main nickname is ‘Miranda’- after Miranda Hart. I think some people think we share some characteristics. I like to call them qualities. Dave also often greets me with the fond names of 'Albert '(Einstein - he thinks it's ironic), and also 'Columbo', because I have a lazy eye. This was operated on as a child, but it came back, so sometimes when I’m tired one eye looks elsewhere and I can see two things at once which is very confusing, especially for a blonde.

As a small child, I was  likened to ‘sad sack’ from the raggy dolls and also adopted the pleasant name of ‘weetabix man’,  simply because I resembled a Weetabix.

 

Lastly, Dave calls me J-Lo because he thinks it takes me a long time to get ready and that I’m a bit high maintenance.
He has no idea.
I can wake up and be out of the house in ten minutes, I have mastered doing my make-up on the bus (withOUT a mirror. Once) and I once went away for the weekend and forgot my suitcase.
Inside I had a little breakdown but I didn’t let it show. A high maintenance girl would have gone home to get it, or raided the nearest shopping centre. A high maintenance girl would certainly not have worn her mother’s too-small swimming costume the first time swimming with her new boyfriend..

You can get a decent snapshot of my life from a small selection of my facebook statuses


Was looking at booking our honeymoon last night. Me: "What is naturist? Is it when you're naked?" Dave: "Yes. Abi, please don't book anything without consulting me first"
[courtesy of Dave] 7am phone call from Abi Hartley in 'our' car. *Alarm sounding* "Dave the key is stuck in the ignition". Only Abi could produce an alarm from my car which I didn't know existed.
You should never take knickers out with you that put Bridget Jones' to shame. Especially if you might leave them in a bridal shop. After you have worn them
Proud to share I got referred to as a "tall skinny blonde bird" yesterday. Somebody didn't go to specsavers, and shouldn't bother either

Had a classic moment today when I fell out of an old tree trunk. I was led unable to get up for shock/laughing when I heard the class of students and their teachers approaching. Emily would have warned me had she not been FAR too busy wetting herself
Was so excited to see my work friends last night that I made a stunning entrance and proved (to several large parties of people..-in a heaving pub) that you don’t need to have had a drink in order to perform an impressive fall. As I sat on the floor gathering my thoughts and belongings and wondering what had just happened, I heard a quiet “Miranda’s here”. Oh. My. Goodness.
Dave said I wouldn't have time for a shower before tea.."you could do that thing you do when you put talc on your body instead" ...me "Dave, that's my HAIR..please don't ever tell anyone I put talc on my body instead of washing it"
 

Following are a couple of stories I wrote about last year. I was going to start a blog then but Dave proposed so I had loads of other stuff to do.

June/July 2012.
 
One thing you might learn is that I google quite a lot. Mainly words or phrases I don’t fully understand. I don’t like to pretend I know things I don’t – partly in case someone tests me on it.
My sister’s wedding is fast approaching and this month’s tasks have included sending out invites for the hen do. Firstly, I googled “where does hen party get its name from?” in order to establish if it made sense to put pictures of hens on the invite. Turns out it was something to do with henna and warning off evil. I stopped reading before I cancelled the whole thing. Dave came round and had a look at the invite so far, which simply read “Dear…….. You are cordially invited to Debs’ hen party”. He then minimised the screen and I didn’t make it to the laptop in time to remove my google results page for “what does cordially mean?”.
Dave despairs quite a lot.
I’ve really enjoyed the football. We were invited to a friend’s to watch the England vs France match. The 1st half I mostly bit my lip.
Some questions I wanted to ask were: “which colour are we playing in?” and “doesn’t Joe Hart look good in green?” (this subject actually came up which I was most pleased about). When I did ask what I thought was a reasonable question; “who is playing?” (meaning our LINE-UP) Dave thought I meant which countries; gave me a ‘please don’t embarrass me’ look and completely ignored me.
The next (perceived) valid question I asked was “He [French player]looks familiar. Who does he play for in the premier league?” Dave “That’s Samir Nasri. He plays for the team you support.” Ouch.
Myself and Dave were invited to tea at friends’ a couple of weeks ago. During the meal, we were presented with some ‘dragon sauce’ , which came in a small glass bottle with lots of pictures of fire and chillies on it. I accepted the challenge to try some with my meal.
As tears and snot streamed down my face, the hostess calmly presented me with multiple tissues and glasses of milk and water, whilst muttering to her fiancé “why have you done this to our guests????”. Our other friend’s boyfriend simply paced the kitchen, repeatedly muttering “…there are no words.”
 
That's it for now kids (just a wee taster), but I start an 8 week placement in the hospital emergency departments tomorrow so if nothing happens in that time and within that setting that would go well in a blog post I will give everyone a million pounds.
If noone reads this it will be my first and last blog and that would be really embarassing (hint HINT).
Ciao ciao
 xxx


4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Simply, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo very proud of you Abster.........sooooo many stories to tell! Cant wait for the next instalment...feel like my step-mum waiting for the next issue of Take-a-break to come out XXXX (I said as I knocked a glass of red wine over the computer doh) X

    ReplyDelete