Saturday 11 May 2013

Rush of blood to the head


Hi again!

Walking.

It was a lovely summer wasn’t it? I’ve been on a couple of walks lately. The first one was to Asda with the husband. We only realised when we got out of the shop armed with bags that it had been a stupid idea to walk to Asda. Obviously it rained to top it off.

Anyway, it was on the way that we experienced an incident. We spotted a metal barrier, a bit like this but without the horizontal bar in the middle:

I fondly reminisced, “Ohh. Remember when you were a kid and you used to roly-poly over them?”

Dave smiled in agreement until I asked him to hold my handbag. He took it but shook his head frantically and repeated “No. No Abi, no..no” even as he did.

I braced myself and swung over the bar.

I got half-way (so, upside-down) and stopped.

I tried to force my body over some more but it didn’t move. I shouted to Dave for help. I was all giddy, like you get sometimes when it’s really not funny. So he didn’t take me seriously. In fact he didn’t say anything, and I couldn’t see him because I was upside-down the wrong way.  I wanted to let go but I was all twisted and feared some sort of dislocation.

I started to panic as I could feel the blood rushing to my head. I shouted “I’m stuck! HELP ME!” and after what felt like ten minutes he proceeded to push me back the way I had come – which wasn’t going to happen as I had gone past ‘the point’ where that was still doable. I shouted “Wrong way, WRONG WAY!” and he aided me forward until I was upright again.

My face physically tingled for the next 20 minutes. I asked Dave why it had taken so long for him to intervene and he advised that he had been trying to take a picture but hadn’t been able to work my phone. Thank heavens, because my midriff was definitely on show.

The second walk wasn’t so incidental, but it was good all the same. Last Sunday afternoon Dave informed me he had found a new local walk, and, would I like to go? Of course the answer was yes because I was just about to start working on an assignment and in those moments it’s always good to do something else.

I asked Dave if I would need my camera and he advised me I did not, that there was nothing to see. During our walk that afternoon we saw cows,  sheep, newborn calves and lambs, fish, ducks, herons, birds of prey, butterflies, geese, goats, horses, dogs (standard), were threatened by some fearsome sheep protecting their young, enjoyed a beverage outside a remote country pub and waved at canal boat people sailing downstream. Now if that didn’t require a camera I don’t know what does.

Education.

I was with my friend’s seven year-old daughter recently when she began to ask me about leap years. I tried to palm her off when I realised immediately that I did not know why or how leap years occur or how many days there are in February - ever. I was relieved when she moved onto the subject of the moon until she started questioning its impact on the tide and waves. What?! I’m 26 and noone’s ever told me about that stuff. Thankfully she later gave me the chance to redeem myself when she asked if we were in Preston or England.

 

I will end this entry with an Abi quote that I let slip on placement last week.
Whilst asking a manager if they could enlighten me on some neurological terminology, I mentioned that the patient in question had been referred for an urgent spray tan.

Either she didn’t hear, or she was so appalled she chose not to respond. I gasped and quietly followed with a mortified  “CT scan.”
 
Love, Amanda x
(I just looked up from the keyboard and had completely unknowingly typed Amanada'!!!?!!!  Probably a subconscious mix of Abi and Miranda, anyway I thought rather than correct it I'd let you relish my stupidity a bit longer)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda! I cant wait to have you back in the office.....and have told all the newbies about Our Miranda and they cant wait to meet you XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou. This is brilliant. Just thankyou.

    ReplyDelete